Monday, March 28, 2011

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword...

Now I'll admit...this idea has always confused me. It begs certain questions...questions like "if the pen is mightier than the sword, why do actions speak louder than words?"

Think on that for just a second...I'll wait.

I don't think that the pen is mightier than the sword. I think ideas are more important than facts. I suppose you could say I was a romantic, at least as opposed to a realist. When it comes to what I want...I rarely have a specific outcome in mind...I just have priorities.

This has its advantages and disadvantages. Truth, for example, is one of the things I value above almost anything else. I feel like it's important that I know the truth. Having the right perspective means you can make right choices. If your perspective or your facts are wrong, then why bother trying to do the right thing? You're probably going to screw it up no matter how well-meaning you are.

I realize that for many people that may seem a bit harsh, and maybe I am. I'm not known for being soft and delicate. But think about it this way...which is more useful, a pastor who preaches the truth, or an atheist humanitarian? Which would you rather trust your kid to? Intentions may dictate how you react to the person, but ultimately we're going to be judged on not only our intentions, but our beliefs.

That's why the Bible says "believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved" (Romans 1:9 Acts 16:31)...not "try your hardest and hope it all works out."

What you believe matters. The Truth matters. I think that's why the Word of God is so important. It "...is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12) If we know the Truth, then we can share it with others, and we can know that we are doing what is right. The Christian walk isn't about avoiding sin. The Christian walk is about becoming progressively closer to being perfect, as Jesus called us to be. That means that the more we understand God, the more we start imitating Him...and sin isn't the problem anymore. It's surrender to whatever He wants from us.

The greatest thing I can aspire to in this life is giving up...and letting God run everything. God, and everything He asks of us is right. Everything else is wrong, and is sin. That's the idea that will change your life.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! just came across your blog, and while I haven't gotten to read much, I've enjoyed what I've seen! Thanks! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete