Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Galatians 2

This chapter seemed totally new to me. I know I've read it a hundred times, and I've quoted many of it's verses, but the context of the words seemed to have escaped me. Here's what I observed in my morning reading of Galatians 2--

Paul had a FEAR! This stuck out to me a new way because most of Paul's writing describes the boldness or peace that comes from God. Even in times of trouble, he shows how graciously God wants His followers to live. Paul's been through so much as described in brief in I Corinthians 4:11-13, but this is the first time I remember Him admitting fear. He was fearing that his work was in vain--even after he penned the words, "Your labor for the Lord is not in vain" in I Cor. 15:58. This gave me a bit of comfort, realizing that Paul is, in fact, human.

On top of that--they were dealing with spies. Yes, SPIES! And these particular spies were checking up on the "freedom" they had in Christ. This makes me think the spies and their leaders were straight up jealous of the lives led by the disciples of Jesus. Sure, they wanted to take prisoners, but that's beside the point (or at least beside my observation. ha!)

-God works in the Jews AND the Gentiles. vs. 4
-I want to be known as a pillar of the faith. vs. 9
-I love how they slip this in--remember the poor always. vs. 10 
-It's kind of entertaining to read as Paul gets caught up in his former Jewish zeal. vs. 11 and on. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paul's consistent theology--that the law is not what redeems us, but it is Christ who came to fulfill the law in us (that is, to have us be seen as holy before of God.)

1 comment: