Monday, February 14, 2011

Such a good metaphor...

The Church is the bride of Christ.

My reaction to that whole metaphor in scripture was always "huh?" As a kid I got that Jesus loved us, but it was a little weird to imagine myself married.  I mean married. The idea was almost spooky to little 12-year-old Kevin.

Some things just make more sense in time.

So it's Valentine's Day, and I just thought it would be an appropriate time to talk about how much I love my wife. Seeing her is the bright spot in my day, and even if things aren't perfect, or she's just wearing sweats...I love her. Seeing her makes my day better.

Thinking that's the way that God feels when he looks at us...well it blows my mind. The idea that the God of the universe is just as proud and happy with us as I am with Mel puts everything in perspective. God isn't sitting on his throne up in heaven counting up all your sins...He's eager to forgive, eager to please, and He loves you.

Many people say they have a hard time making the decision to do hard things for God. Thinking of God as the bridegroom helps give me the desire to do right, to be like Him, and to be the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment