Thursday, January 13, 2011

Devotions in the Snow

Some of you remember reading about my views on snow...if not, you can scroll down a bit and it'll become apparent.

I love snow.

Seriously, I think it's about the only thing that makes cold weather worth it, although I am less bothered by cold weather now that I've decided to wear things including (but not limited to) a coat, scarf, and gloves.  Getting older means I don't have to worry so much about looking "manly" by freezing my tail off in the snow.

In any case, yesterday I was looking out at a beautiful snow-covered world...and a now covered front walk and church walkway. I started shoveling our back walkway (the one we use to get to the church) and I saw one of the older guys at the church (really cool guy) arrive with his truck to plow the parking lot.

Then I started thinking I should quickly finish my walkway so I could get inside before this guy asked for help.

Then I stopped to consider that for a second. What the heck was I thinking? Did I really want this nice guy to have to shovel the church's front walk because I was too lazy and wanted to get back into my house and drink coffee?

So I decided to just go ahead and shovel the church's front walk.  It's not huge, but it's a decent size, and took an extra 20-30 minutes. The whole time I was surprised at how ok I was with doing extra work. Life and society have taught us over the years to do as little work as is necessary, and not to strain ourselves...but as soon as I decide to do extra work to help someone else, shoveling snow became...devotional.

There's no real point here, just wanted to share my thoughts...maybe go out and do something nice today.

No comments:

Post a Comment